There are some open positions in the field of tectonics and related disciplines, which may be of interest to our readers:
Posts in the category » Jobs « ( 49 Posts )
Open positions in tectonics and related fields
Postdoc position at Oxford University: Palaeoseismology of Central Asian Earthquake Ruptures2019-02-22 | in Field work, Jobs | one response
There is a wonderful, amazing, extraordinary postdoc position open at Oxford University: Palaeoseismology of Central Asian Earthquake Ruptures.
We seek to appoint a postdoctoral research assistant to undertake investigations of large earthquakes within the interior of Asia. The post is part of a project funded by the Leverhulme Trust called EROICA. The successful candidate will work closely with Professor Richard Walker, and will join a vibrant community of active tectonics researchers in Oxford within the Earthquake Geology and Geodesy group.
The researcher will be responsible for the detailed mapping of palaeo-earthquake ruptures, the construction of slip distributions from individual earthquakes, the analysis of high-resolution satellite imagery, the construction of digital topographic models, and the selection of sites for long-term slip-rate determination using field investigation. The PDRA will also be involved in planning and carrying out fieldwork to verify remote-sensing observations, to collect samples for dating, and to excavate and interpret palaeo-seismic trenches. We expect the researcher to help in supervising doctoral and masters student research projects, in addition to undertaking their own research.
Postdoc position at UNAM from March 2020: Upper Plate Deformation Mexican Subduction2019-02-08 | in Jobs | one responseUNAM is searching for a psotdoc working on the upper plate deformation of the Mexican subduction zone:POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION/ UPPER PLATE DEFORMATION – MEXICAN SUBDUCTION, AVAILABLE MARCH 2020
The following open position might be of interest to the Active tectonics and paleoseismology community:We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Assistant for a 12 month fixed term appointment working on the exciting UNAM-CONACYT-funded project on “Spatial and Temporal Variations of Upper Plate Deformation across the Guerrero portion of the Mexican Subduction Zone” at the Institute of Geography and the Tsunami and Paleoseismology Laboratory, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City Campus. The candidate will pursue fundamental and applied research into the assessment of both temporal and spatial vertical crustal deformation associated with both slow (interseismic) and rapid (coseismic) crustal deformation across the inner forearc region of the central Mexican subduction zone on the Guerrero sector, where the Cocos plate underthrusts the North American plate. The candidate will be responsible for the development and execution of laboratory and field research, conduct studies to develop a model of long-term deformation, writing reports and papers.
Postdoc Research Assistant position at UNAM: Upper plate deformation/Mexican subduction, available September 2019
Open positions in Tectonics2018-12-12 | in Jobs
Several open positions in the broad field of tectonics are currently advertised:
- The School of Environment, University of Auckland, is looking to appoint a lecturer/senior lecturer in Earth Sciences with expertise in tectonic geomorphology and/or structural geology. https://opportunities.auckland.ac.nz/jobid/20343/1/1
- PhD project on active tectonics in Turkey, University of Plymouth. Open for Uk and EU citizens (resident in the UK for 3 years). https://www.aries-dtp.ac.uk/studentships/earthquakes-and-fault-interaction-in-western-turkey/
- 3 new lecturer/senior lecturer positions in Earth Science & Engineering at Imperial College London. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs/description/ENG00595/lecturersenior-lecturer
- 3 lectureship positions (equivalent to assistant/associate professorships) in Earth Sciences at Cambridge. http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/19524/
- 2 Postdoctoral Researchers at University College Dublin to work on: (i) The kinematics of fault systems offshore Ireland and (ii) Discrete element numerical modelling of the evolution of fault systems. www.ucd.ie/workatucd/jobs/ under the job reference numbers 011021 and 011024.
- 4-year PhD project at University College Dublin: “Tracking Neogene growth and collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet by detrital provenance analysis of clastic sediment”. https://paleoseismicity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/UCD_WAIS_PhD.pdf
- PhD position in Edinburgh: Mineral dehydration and rehydration cycles: Effects on strength, structure and permeability. https://www.ed.ac.uk/e4-dtp/how-to-apply/our-projects/project/46
- PhD position at University of Leeds: Warm climate, high seas. How did sea level change in Europe during the Last Interglacial? https://natashabarlow.wordpress.com/
- PhD positions at the lab of James Dolan, Univ. of Southern California: https://earth.usc.edu/people/dolan/research/
- Research Scientist at Uni Jena: Building a new µCT / XRM Lab: https://www4.uni-jena.de/Universit%C3%A4t/Stellenmarkt/Wissenschaftliche+Mitarbeiter/382_2018+_+wiss_+Mitarbeiter_in+am+Institut+f%C3%BCr+Geowissenschaften_+LS+Angewandte+Geologie.html
- PostDoc position at BGRM France, Orléans: InSAR & optical correlation applied to Earth Sciences. https://paleoseismicity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Dt-ldbIWwAAsmud.jpg-large.jpg
USGS Mendenhall Fellowship Opportunity – Cascadia Marine Geohazards2018-11-15 | in Jobs
USGS is currently recruiting a Mendenhall Postdoctoral Fellow for a project on Marine Geohazards of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, with three general areas of interest: the relationship of Quaternary sediment distribution and stratigraphy to seafloor processes and earthquake history; links between tectonic geomorphology, upper plate structure, and deeper subduction processes; and the influence of fluids and 3D structural interactions on the mechanics of subduction zone forearcs.
A full description of the opportunity is available here:
General information about the Mendenhall Fellowship program:
An info flyer about our Marine Geohazards project:
Potential applicants may contact Jenna Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org) or one of the other research advisors associated with this project prior to putting together their research proposal.
Post-Doctoral Position in Tectonics / Structural Geology at IPGP (Paris, France)2018-10-10 | in Jobs
The following open position may be of interest for the tectonics community:
The Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris has an opening for a post-doctoral position to
carry out research in tectonics and structural geology. The project (PI: Martine Simoes) is
funded by the Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) to assess active deformation and
seismic hazards in slowly deforming orogens, by quantifying deformation over various timescales,
from long-term geological deformation down in time to short-term processes at the scale
of the seismic cycle. The Western Kunlun mountain range (China) will be considered as a case
Open position at USGS: Research Geologist working on paleoseismology of Northern California2018-08-15 | in Jobs
USGS is currently advertising an interesting position for a paleoseismologist – permanent and full time.
Opening and closing date: 08/10/2018 to 09/10/2018 (I am not sure if that means 10 August to 10 September or 8-9 October…)
–Perform field-based paleoseismic research to characterize the chronology of past earthquakes or slip rates on faults in the greater San Andreas fault system in northern California.
–Perform geological research to characterize crustal deformation in northern California and elsewhere. more
Tectonics jobs2018-08-03 | in Jobs
A couple of interesting positions are currently open for earthquake geology, tectonics, and paleoseismology people:
- PostDoc in active tectonics, structural geology, tectonic geomorphology and/or paleoseismology, GFZ Potsdam
- University Professor of Tectonics/Structural Geology, Uni Mainz
- Associate Professor in Structural Geology, Uni Oslo
- Two permanent research positions in Geodynamics at the Spanish Research Council
- Five permanent research positions for the Spanish Geological Survey (IGME) Shallow geothermics, geohazards, structural geology and tectonics, subsurface geology
- Tectonophysics TT job at CSU Fullerton
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography, Uni Brighton
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Geology, Uni Brighton
- Teaching Fellow in Physical Geography, Uni Hull
- PostDoc position “Tectonic and metamorphic evolution of the Mariana convergent margin with emphasis on fault- and fluid-systems in the Mariana forearc” at Uni Graz
- PhD positions on earthquakes, seismic hazard at the University of Camerino, Italy
- PhD or Post-Doc position ” interdisciplinary project to quantify and model microstructural evolution in hydrothermal crack-seal veins” at RWTH Aachen University
- Postdoctoral Geophysicist/ Seismologist, GFZ Potsdam
Several open positions in tectonics – from PhD student to professorship2018-01-27 | in Jobs
A couple of positions are currently open in the field of tectonics and related subjects:
- 4 yrs PhD in Durham, UK: The origin, active tectonics and fate of the South Caspian Basin. (PDF)
- 18-24 months postdoc in Fribourg, SUI: Kinematic and mechanical
modelling of the Alpine foreland. (PDF)
- Assistant professor (Maître de conférences) at the Geosciences and Environment Dept. of University of Cergy-Pontoise, FRA: Geological reservoirs characterization (PDF)