Dear friends and colleagues,
We are happy to announce that our Special Issue from the 2015 PATA Days in Fucino is finally published in Quaternary International. This wonderful workshop commemorated the centenary of the 1915 Fucino Earthquake, and
we have seen some great active faults in the Central Apennines
and palaeoseismological research sites during the field trips. The meeting was organized by ISPRA, INGV and University of Insubria and promoted by INQUA TERPRO.
Our Special Issue now includes papers on Quaternary Earthquakes and the use of Geology and Palaeoseismology for Seismic Hazard Assessment. We collected 15 papers that deal with research in seven different countries. The work encompasses studies on palaeoseismology, detailed stratigraphy,
innovative techniques to detect earthquakes in the geological record, EEEs, the ESI 2007 scale, and new methods for seismic hazard assessment such as InSAR.
We would like to thank all authors for their patience, the editors of QI for their help, INQUA for the support of our successful conference series, and the Fucino Organisation Committee for the great meeting.
Anna Maria, Christoph, Luca, Franz
Table of contents:
- Quaternary earthquakes: Geology and palaeoseismology for seismic hazard assessment. A.M. Blumetti, C. Grützner, L. Guerrieri, F. Livio. Editorial.
- Mapping capable faulting hazard in a moderate-seismicity, high heat-flow environment: The Tuscia province (southern Tuscany-northern Latium, Italy). L. Piccardi, E. Vittori, A.M. Blumetti, V. Comerci, P. Di Manna, L. Guerrieri, M. Baglione, V. D’Intinosante
- The Environmental Seismic Intensity Scale (ESI 2007) in Greece, addition of new events and its relationship with magnitude in Greece and the Mediterranean; preliminary attenuation relationships. Ioannis Papanikolaou, Maria Melaki
- Fault slip versus slope deformations: Experience from paleoseismic trenches in the region with low slip-rate faults and strong Pleistocene periglacial mass wasting (Bohemian Massif). Petr Špaček, Jan Valenta, Petr Tábořík, Vít Ambrož, Michal Urban, Petra Štěpančíková
- Estimation of the epicentral area of the 1912 Acambay earthquake (M 6.9, Mexico) determined from the earthquake archaeological effects (EAE) and the ESI07 macroseismic scale. M.A. Rodríguez-Pascua, R. Pérez-López, V.H. Garduño-Monroy, M.A. Perucha, I. Israde-Alcántara
- Lateral slip rate of Alhama de Murcia fault (SE Iberian Peninsula) based on a morphotectonic analysis: Comparison with paleoseismological data. Marta Ferrater, Maria Ortuño, Eulàlia Masana, José J. Martínez-Díaz, Raimon Pallàs, Hector Perea, Stephane Baize, Eduardo García-Meléndez, Anna Echeverria, Thomas Rockwell, Warren D. Sharp, Ramon Arrowsmith
- Combining amphibious geomorphology with subsurface geophysical and geological data: A neotectonic study at the front of the Alps (Bernese Alps, Switzerland). S.C. Fabbri, M. Herwegh, H. Horstmeyer, M. Hilbe, C. Hübscher, K. Merz, F. Schlunegger, C. Schmelzbach, B. Weiss, F.S. Anselmetti
- Geoarchaeology and paleoseismology blend to define the Fucino active normal fault slip history, central Italy. S. Gori, E. Falcucci, F. Galadini, M. Moro, M. Saroli, E. Ceccaroni
- Paleoseismicity of the San Demetrio ne’ Vestini fault (L’Aquila Basin, Central Italy): Implications for seismic hazard. A.M. Blumetti, P. Di Manna, V. Comerci, L. Guerrieri, E. Vittori
- First evidence for Late Pleistocene to Holocene earthquake surface faulting in the Eastern Monferrato Arc (Northern Italy): Geology, pedostratigraphy and structural study of the Pecetto di Valenza site. C. Frigerio, L. Bonadeo, A. Zerboni, F. Livio, M.F. Ferrario, G. Fioraso, A. Irace, F. Brunamonte, A.M. Michetti
- New insights on speleoseismology: The geothermal gradient and heat flow values in caves for the study of active faults. R. Pérez-López, S. Martín-Velázquez, S. Sánchez-Moral, M. Patyniak, J. López-Gutiérrez, S. Cuezva, J. Lario, P.G. Silva, M.A. Rodríguez-Pascua, J.L. Giner-Robles
- Broken speleothems reveal Holocene and Late Pleistocene paleoearthquakes in Northern Calabria, Italy. Elisa Joy Kagan, Francesca Romana Cinti, Laura Alfonsi, Riccardo Civico, Miryam Bar-Matthews
- ESI-07 ShakeMaps for instrumental and historical events in the Betic Cordillera (SE Spain): An approach based on geological data and applied to seismic hazard. P.G. Silva, J. Elez, J.L. Giner-Robles, M.A. Rodríguez-Pascua, R. Pérez-López, E. Roquero, T. Bardají, A. Martínez-Graña
- Active tectonics and geomorphology of the Gaenserndorf Terrace in the Central Vienna Basin (Austria). M. Weissl, E. Hintersberger, J. Lomax, C. Lüthgens, K. Decker
- Locating distributed faulting: Contributions from InSAR imaging to Probabilistic Fault Displacement Hazard Analysis (PFDHA). Franz Livio, Leonello Serva, Aybars Gürpinar
- Evaluation of the macroseismic intensities triggered by the January/February 2014 Cephalonia, (Greece) earthquakes based on ESI-07 scale and their comparison to 1867 historical event. George Papathanassiou, Sotirios Valkaniotis, Athanassios Ganas