A new book on paleoseismology, archaeoseismology and earthquakes on the Iranian Plateau has been published in the Developments in Earth Surface Processes series. Volume 17 is dedicated to Earthquakes and Coseismic Surface Faulting on the Iranian Plateau A Historical, Social and Physical Approach, and it is authored by Manuel Berberian. The book not only covers physical processes related to earthquakes in Iran like coseismic offsets, archaeoseismological effects, and geomorphological evidence, but its first part is all about Earthquake Hazard Warning in Oral Tradition and Literature on the Iranian Plateau. The volume comes with a foreword by Robert Yeats and Roger Bilham. Table of contents:
Pt. I: Earthquake Hazard Warning in Oral Tradition and Literature on the Iranian Plateau
- 1. Place Names and Linguistic Traces Referring to Pre-Historic Earthquakes; Earthquake Hazard Warning in Oral Traditions
- 2. Earthquake Myths
- 3. Earthquakes and Religious Thoughts
- 4. Ancient Earthquake Theories
- 5. Earthquake Folklores and Legends
- 6. Earthquakes in Epic Literature
- 7. Earthquake Poems and Chronogrammatic Verses
- 8. Earthquake Related Inscriptions
Part Two: Dynamic Phenomena Associated with the Earthquakes on the Iranian Plateau
- 9. Active Tectonics and Geologic Setting of the Iranian Plateau
- 10. Archeoseismicity
- 11. Pre-1900 Coseismic Surface Faulting
- 12. 1900-1963 Coseismic Surface Faulting
- 13. 1964-1997 Coseismic Surface Faulting
- 14. 1998-2013 Coseismic Surface Faulting
- 15. Coseismic Blind-Fault Related Flexural-Slip Folding and Faulting at the Surface
- 16. Patterns of the Historical Earthquake Ruptures on the Iranian Plateau
- 17. Earthquake History of the Iranian Plateau
The book can be ordered from Elsevier and costs GBP 110.00.
Have you read it and want to provide a review? Contact us!
No comments yet.