The official website for the PATA DAYS 2017 is online: 8th International Workshop on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics and Archeoseismology, 3 – 9 April 2017, West Coast, New Zealand.
The Workshop invites presentations on:
- Large earthquakes in mountainous regions and landscape response
- Earthquake behaviour of high slip strike-slip faults
- Advances in paleoseismic techniques from high resolution topography, shallow geophysics and dating
- Paleoseismic contributions to seismic hazard analysis
Studies on other topics related to earthquakes geology, such as paleotsunami, coastal deformation, and seismically triggered mass movements are also welcome.
- December 2016: Registration and abstract submission opens
- 13 January 2017: Registration and abstract submission deadline
- 17 February 2017: 4-page papers due
See you all in New Zealand!
The 5th International Tsunami Field Symposium will be held from 3-7 September, 2017, in Lisbon, Portugal. In addition to the scientific sessions an interesting 3-days field trip will take the participants to the tsunami hot spots of the Algarve coast. Visit the official website for more information and make sure to save the date! Continue reading “5th International Tsunami Field Symposium, 3-7 September 2017, Lisbon/Algarve”
Here’s an interesting opportunity in coastal paleoseismology:
The Division of Marine Science at the University of Southern Mississippi (NASA Stennis Space Center location) invites applications for a four-year PhD position in coastal paleoseismology starting no later than August 2017. This is an NSF funded project that aims to recover stratigraphic records of past earthquakes and tsunamis along the Hikurangi subduction margin, New Zealand. The project is part of a wider study on Hikurangi margin geodynamics, and the student will have the opportunity to attend workshops where we aim to integrate coastal paleoseismology with a wide variety of other geological and geophysical datasets. The ideal candidate will possess a skillset that includes: quantitative micropaleontology, paleoenvironmental reconstructions, sedimentology of coastal systems, and experience in adventurous fieldwork. The candidate is required to have an MSc in geology, earth sciences, marine sciences, or a closely related discipline.
Continue reading “PhD Position in Coastal Paleoseismology at University of Southern Mississippi”
Lead by ISPRA, scientists from Italy, UK, and Norway have conducted field surveys and remote sensing to analyse the earthquake environmental effects of the 24 August, 2016, Amatrice Earthquake. The team has produced a 31-pages report that covers mainly field work results and INSAR data on ground deformation. Great photos of the surface ruptures! Continue reading “New report by ISPRA et al. on field evidence of on-fault effects due to the Amatrice earthquake”
This workshop was announced earlier with wrong dates! Please note that it will take place from 8-9 December, just before the AGU Fall Meeting.
Download the flyer here (PDF, 244 KB).
The EMERGEO Working Group has conducted extensive field work after the 24 August 2016 Amatrice Earthquake in Italy and put together a report on the coseismic effects. The report is in English and can be downloaded from the INGV earthquake Blog here: PDF (6.1 mb)
The report includes data on environmental earthquake effects like surface ruptures, fractures, landslides, and rockfalls. More than 2400 data points have been collected.
Please cite the report as follows:
- EMERGEO Working Group (2016). The 24 August 2016 Amatrice Earthquake: Coseismic Effects. doi: 10.5281/zenodo.61568
The EMERGEO Working Group consists of Pucci S., De Martini P.M., Nappi R., Pantosti D., Civico R., Ricci T., Moro M., Cinti F., Brunori C.A., Di Naccio D., Sapia V., De Ritis R., Gori S., Falcucci E., Caciagli M., Pinzi S., Villani F., Gaudiosi G., Burrato P., Vannoli P., Kastelic V., Montone P., Carafa M., Patera A., Vallone R. (all INGV) and Saroli M., Lo Sardo L., Lancia M. (University of Cassino and southern Lazio).
Thanks to Francesca Cinti for pointing me to this!
The 8th PATA Days (Int’l workshop on Paleoseismology, Active Tectonics, Archaeoseismology) will be held in New Zealand from 3–9 April, 2017. The meeting will comprise scientific sessions, discussions, and a couple of very good field trips. Make sure to regularly check PATA2017.nz for updates.
Now the first circular has been published, download it here as pdf: 1st circular
See you all in New Zealand!
A special session on the Amatrice Earthquake of 24 August in Italy was held at the Congress of the Geological Society of Italy (Naples, 7 September, 2016). A video of the entire session is now available online. Although the talks are in Italian, it is easy to understand and the slides tell the story.
See the full video here: Continue reading “Video: Special Session on the Amatrice Earthquake at the 88º Congresso della Società Geologica Italiana, Naples, 7 September 2016”
Today’s paper round-up has lots of tsunami papers, including one on the use of DNA to decipher paleo-tsunami deposits. Also, we have some papers about Italy, even from the area of the 24 August Amatrice earthquake. Enjoy reading and please don’t hesitate to tell me which papers I’ve missed.
Continue reading “New papers on paleoseismology, tsunami, and active tectonics (Sep 2016)”
There will be a Special Session on the Amatrice Earthquake of 24 August at the Congresso Società Geologica Italiana, 7 September, 2016, in Napoli. See http://www.sginapoli2016.it/home/ for the congress details.
Il terremoto del centro Italia del 24 agosto 2016 7 settembre 2016, ore 20.00, Aula tbd
Chairmen: Carlo Doglioni, Alessandro Maria Michetti
- 20.00 – INGV Amatrice working group : La sequenza sismica di Amatrice 2016
- 20.10 – Bonano M., Castaldo R., Casu F., De Luca C., De Novellis V., Lanari R., Manunta M., Manzo M., Pepe A., Pepe S., Tizzani P., Zinno I. : Deformazione superficiale associata al terremoto del centro Italia del 24 agosto 2016: primi risultati da interferometria radar dallo spazio
- 20.20 – Lavecchia G., Brozzetti F., Boncio P., de Nardis, Cirillo, Ferrarini: controllo strutturale sulla sequenza sismica di Accumoli 2016 – analisi preliminare
- 20.30 – Blumetti A.M., Bonadeo L., Brunamonte F., Comerci V., Cowie P., Di Manna P., Ferrario M.F., Faure Walker J., Frigerio C., Fumanti F., Gregory L., Guerrieri L., Iezzi F., Livio F., McCaffrey K., Michetti A.M., Mildon Z., Phillips R., Piccardi L., Pompili R., Rhodes E., Roberts G., Vittori E., Walters R.J., Wedmore L., Wilkinson M. : Rotture al suolo ed effetti ambientali associati al terremoto del centro Italia del 24 agosto 2016: risultati preliminari e work in progress.
- 20.40 – Galli P. et al. : Distribuzione dell’intensità macrosismica e implicazioni sismotettoniche del terremoto del centro Italia del 24 agosto 2016:
- 20.50 – Amanti M. : Eventi franosi nell’area epicentrale del terremoto di Amatrice.